Like, Totally Bitchin’! Awesome 80s Cookies

When the movie Back to the Future premiered in 1985, Marty McFly (played by Michael J. Fox) went 30 years back in time to 1955.  If this movie were made today, Marty would travel back 30 years to 1982.  Does anyone else find this just a little depressing?

This week I turned 30 years old.  To celebrate the milestone of surviving 3 decades, I created decorated cookies of pop culture icons from my 80s childhood.

Check out more photos (and some rad YouTube videos) after the jump.

The View-Master was first developed in the 1960s, but I had one when I was a kid.  The binocular-shaped toy used disks of film-style pictures to create images that the user could see in 3-D.  The orange switch on the right side advanced the film disk to the next images.

This cookie was created using a self-made plastic template to cut out the dough rather than with a cookie cutter.  The almost-red, not quite red-orange color was achieved using AmeriColor’s Red Red food coloring.  The squares on the film disk were created with a black food-safe marker.

Neon High Top Shoes

These shoes are based on the Jams-brand high top shoes popular in the mid-to-late 80s.  The cookie shape was created using a self-made plastic template.

MTV, Music Television, was launched in August 1981 as the first music-themed television channel.  MTV popularized the music video and created the term VJ.

Pac-Man first premiered in Japan in 1980, but ultimately became synonymous with 80s American culture.  It is considered one of the most popular arcade games of all time.

Rubik’s Cube

I did not own a Rubik’s Cube as a child.  When I was a young tween, I did get one for Christmas, but I never did solve it.  It was an incredibly popular toy, and more than 300 million have been sold worldwide since it’s debut in 1980.

Roller Skates

Did you know the first roller skates were introduced in 1760?  Too bad we didn’t have Wikipedia in the 80s.

The Mullet

Too bad this tragic hairstyle wasn’t confined to the 80s.  A mainstay of many a yearbook photo, the mullet was business in the front and party in the back!  If you’ve ever seen a mullet cookie before, please send me a photo.  Otherwise, I’m claiming this as the world’s first.

Kool-Aid Man

What would a hot summer vacation be without a glass of Kool-Aid?  Crappy, that’s what.  The Kool-Aid mascot, Kool-Aid Man, was known for blasting through walls with pitchers of Kool-Aid to save thirsty kids from dehydration with a trademark, “Oh, Yeah!”

The electronic version of the classic recess game, Simon Says.  Don’t know Simon?  Don’t know Simon Says?  Then you were not a child of the 80s.  Not my 80s.

I hope your baking adventures are as righteous as mine!  Like, totally!

You can follow Taylor-Made Treats on Facebook at

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Nicole and Lucie says:

Totally awesome, rad cookies, Dude. Hope you had a chill birthday.

2. John Brooks says:

It’s time to throw a “Valley Girl” party!

3. lisa says:

Hello,my name is lisa and my twin girls are having a 80’s theme party and as a favor to everyone I would like to give out some of these awsum 80’s cookiesso I was woundering if you make to order and if u ship to ca?O and a price for like 4dz. Thank you

• Taylor-Made Treats says:

Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately, I am not able to take orders for baked goods at this time.

Best of luck on your party!

4. Samantha says:

First, this has to be the single coolest blog post of all time. And I would like to stand as witness that you did indeed create the first mullet cookie! And damn! It’s glorious!!
    The roller skates are also super bitchin’, but koolaid dude has to be my favorite! I never had koolaid as a kid, but I always wanted it! Darn my mom for making us drink real juice, I always wanted to know what the “kool” kids were experiencing!
    Great cookies!

• Taylor-Made Treats says:

Thanks so much, Samantha! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I did grow up on Kool-Aid, so I can assure you that you weren’t missing anything. But I do get a craving for Berry Blue or Tropical Punch Kool-Aid every now and then.

5. Randi Victor says:

I would love to order these from you for my husbands surprise birthday party (he’ll be 40). He is all about the 80’s (still) minus the mullet!

Please let me know how I can order these…please tell me I still can order these! I would love to hear from you!

Thank you!

Randi Victor

• Taylor-Made Treats says:

Hi Randi!

I’m so glad you like the cookies I’ve created. Unfortunately, I don’t take orders for cookies. Right now it’s just a hobby I enjoy.

Best of luck on your husband’s party!

6. jaclyn says:

Where can we find a kool aid man cookie cutter?

• Taylor-Made Treats says:

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any Kool-Aid Man cookie cutter. To create my cookie, I created a template out of quilting plastic (from the craft store) and used it as a guide to cut out the cookie dough with a sharp knife.